The intellectual property legislation in Azerbaijan allows for the registration of various types of rights associated with the creation of various intellectual work. However, out of all of them, the trademark is one of the most employed as it is simpler to create compared to others and it also offers multiple benefits.
Both companies and individuals can register trademarks in Azerbaijan in accordance with the local and international laws, respectively conventions. Azerbaijan has entered various international agreements providing for the protection of intellectual property and trademarks.
Our lawyers in Azerbaijan explain the main steps for trademark registration in this country. You can also rely on us if you want to open a company in Azerbaijan and want to protect the trading name by registering it as a trademark.
Table of Contents
Regulations related to trademark registration in Azerbaijan
Intellectual property in Azerbaijan is regulated by several laws, among which the following are some of the most important:
- the Act on the Trademarks and Geographical Signs;
- the Laws on Copyright and Related Rights and the Law on Patents;
- the Law on Enforcement of the Intellectual Property Rights and Fight against Piracy;
- the Law on Legal Protection of Compilations of Data.
Apart from these, Azerbaijan is also a member of the Madrid, Nice, and Bern agreements, as well as a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the treaties enabled by it.
You can rely on us for registering a trademark. We also have a team of dedicated company formation agents in Azerbaijan who can help you in business registration matters.
Types of trademarks that can be registered in Azerbaijan
There are several types of trademarks that can be registered in Azerbaijan. These are:
- generic marks;
- descriptive marks;
- service marks;
- collective marks;
- certification marks.
Before starting the trademark registration procedure in Azerbaijan, it is advisable to decide on the type of mark one wants to have protected.
The main characteristics of a trademark
In order to be able to register a trademark must meet specific requirements that are covered by the local legislation. The trademark must be distinctive, it must also be unique and must not be offensive.
It is important for the Azeri trademark to be unique so that it does not deceive those who see it in respect to the goods or services it represents, but also to not be mistaken for a similar one. In order to verify these traits of a trademark, verification is advisable. This will ensure a smooth registration procedure.
Our specialists in Azerbaijan are at the service of local and foreign citizens and companies seeking to obtain enhanced protection over their goods, services, or trading names by registering trademarks here.
Steps in trademark registration in Azerbaijan
The registration of a trademark in Azerbaijan implies completing a few simple steps, however, these must be carefully considered. They are:
- preparing and filing of the trademark papers with the selected Trademark Office;
- the Office’s representatives will then verify the documents and the mark;
- the mark will then be published in the Official Gazette;
- if no oppositions are filed, the Certificate of Registration is issued.
When it comes to the documents to be prepared for trademark registration in Azerbaijan, the following are required:
- an application form;
- a trademark and the services/products description;
- a graphic representation of the trademark;
- a receipt for the payment of the registration fee.
When using the services of a law firm, a power of attorney must be issued for the representative to be the contact point with the Trademark Office in Azerbaijan.
You can rely on us if you want to skip all the lengthy formalities implied in the process of registering a trademark or any other intellectual property right.
We remind you that you can also rely on us for company registration services in Azerbaijan.
What to consider about trademark registration in Azerbaijan
When deciding to register a trademark in Azerbaijan, you should know that the application fee depends on the chosen class. Also, if you have a trademark that has been registered in another country you can obtain protection for it in Azerbaijan.
As a general rule, the following should be considered when registering a trademark in Azerbaijan:
- after filling all the documents, the confirmation of the beginning of the registration is issued in about 3 months;
- the trademark examination can take between 4 and 5 months;
- the certificate of registration is issued in 3 or 4 months;
- the entire procedure can take between 12 and 18 months.
For assistance in trademark registration in Azerbaijan, please contact us.